Wow, can it really be that our little Emily is already 2! It seems like just yesterday that she was as small as Lydia!
We decided to celebrate this milestone by having a few friends over for cake and ice cream. Growing up my mom always made a special cake for our birthdays, so keeping up with tradition we stayed up past 3:00 in the morning the night before and made a butterfly cake for Emily. It was a lot of work, but I think it turned out pretty good.
The cake.
The birthday girl and the cake.
The tired Mommy, Emily, and the cake.
Yes, it did taste as good as it looks!
Note that the cake has two flavors. I first made a white cake, but it didn't seem like quite enough, so I baked a chocolate cake and then we layered it. Mike did a great job lining up the sheet cakes on top of each other.
Proof that Emily did eat a little bit of cake this year. Last year we could barely get her to touch it. Oh the difference a year makes!
Homemade ice cream!
Emily and her friends.
Present time!
Just before the party we had woken Emily up from a nap, so it was nearly impossible to get her smile, let alone look at the camera. She looked pretty tired in most of the pictures, but we did get one picture of her smiling:
Happy Birthday Emily! We love you and are excited to see what this next year brings!










3 comments:
Adorable!!!! So sorry we missed it! She looks like quite the little party princess in her new dress and shoes. Love it! Kelli, now you know what I went through for 18+ years for you and Lesli baking and decorating a "special" cake. At least Emily's and Lydia's birthdays are also six weeks apart.
Wow, amazing cake! I am really impressed. And since you partook of Karis' roach-cake I'm sure you believe me when I say that :-)
Emily is so cute and looking so grown up!
Happy Birthday, Emily!
Post a Comment