When we first did research for Lydia's surgery, we discovered that she would need to wear a molding helmet for a year to 18 months. I have to say, I wasn't looking forward to this, but I've found it hasn't been so bad. I actually think she looks adorable in it and I've found that I am able to spread awareness about craniosynostosis.
It is amazing how often we are approached with questions about the helmet. It really is a great conversation starter! Over the last 9 months, we've collected quite an interesting set of comments and questions. Here are our favorites. I've added some of the comments I would like to say sometimes in parenthesis.
10.
What's with the helmet?
(Sky diving accident -- said with a straight face)
9.
Does she wear that because she falls a lot?
(Yes, I am the worst parent in the world. Or just the most overprotective)
8.
She looks like a football player. or She looks like an astronaut.
(The competition is really tough these days -- you got to get an edge somewhere. or What? It's not Halloween today?)
7.
Where can I get one of those?
(Just go to your local orthotist -- they're on sale for a bargain price of $3,700!)
6.
Is that a motorcycle helmet?
(Who needs car seats? Now all you need is a helmet and your baby can ride a motorcycle!)
5.
Does she have to wear that?
(No, we're trying to start a fashion statement)
4.
Is that the new child safety requirements for riding on airplanes?
(Can you believe the child safety laws these days?!)
3.
My kid had a flat head too.
(As my one friend likes to kindly mention, well, this was a little more than a flat head, she had brain surgery!)
2.
Does she sleep with it?
(This is one of my favorites as it always comes after I say that she wears it 23 hours a day, as though sleeping would not be included in the 23 hours a day.)
and finally...
#1.
Oh, she's so cute. She looks like... like... an alien.
(This was said by the flight attendant on Delta. Now, I think she meant to say astronaut, but alien came out instead. I think English wasn't her first language).
It's been interesting having a baby who wears a helmet, but 99% of the time we forget she even has it on. It's so much a part of her that once in a while I'm surprised that people ask about it. Although we've been on the receiving end of some interesting comments, I feel that the helmet is such a gift that enables my baby to have a beautiful looking head.
However, as I'm asked about the helmet for the 100th time this week, some of these times I'll give my favorite quick answer -- she dropped from heaven but the landing wasn't very soft!
~Kelli

1 comment:
Those are hilarious! Your attitude about people's remarks is so great. I am always very shy about saying anything at all to people in public, but if they mind as little as you seem to, I guess I should give it a try.
Post a Comment