Congratulations Lydia! She is officially helmet-free! She was such a trooper going through 15 months of helmet therapy without so much as a complaint. Even when the temperature reached over 100 degrees and her poor little head was drenched in sweat, she just took it all in stride.
I have to say that when I first heard that Lydia would need to wear a helmet, I was pretty disappointed. I didn't want all her baby pictures to have a helmet, but the more she wore it, the cuter it got, so much so, that I think I'll miss it now that she's done!

Although the helmet did have some disadvantages such as making it hotter for her, making her head stinky, and it wasn't the softest thing to cuddle with, there were also some nice things about it. It protected her head and she didn't get a single black and blue on her head the whole time! Now just a week after she finished wearing the helmet, she has a little bruise on her forehead. I don't think there was a week that went by that I didn't say, "Good thing she has a helmet!" However, the best thing about the helmet was that it made her head beautiful!
We celebrated her helmet graduation with a homemade cake, fireworks, and friends. Here are a few pictures from her party.
Lydia's happy dance.
Although I'm not glad Lydia had craniosynostosis there has been a lot of good that has come from it. We were able to see my parents four times more than we would have, and my grandma was able to meet Lydia and see Emily again before she died. Mike was able to take classes on literacy development, and I've been able to help other parents who have babies who have the same condition as Lydia. I've even been contacted by parents of children with craniosynostosis who live in Germany, Brazil, and Pakistan! We praise the Lord for the advancements in medicine that enabled Lydia to be a beautiful and healthy little girl!
~Kelli

2 comments:
Beatiful little girl!
congratulations lydia!!! we are rejoicing with you guys
Post a Comment